By Georgia Holton
Has your clever medical practitioner told you to avoid salt? Nothing could be further from the truth. Salt plays a very important role in the body’s biological patterns and digestion. Have you ever heard the saying "Are you worth your grain of salt"? This saying was common many years ago during world wars when scientists realized the importance of this valuable nutrient especially during times of famine and hardship as it helped body’s process nutrients more effectively.
Back then salt was a very rare commodity. Soldiers actually lined up for their daily dose and workers where often paid with a grain of salt, hence the saying... Today’s daily fast throw away life maybe much different, however our bodies have not changed that much. We all still require this valuable nutrient, however for many, it comes supplied in an overly processed, bleached, deodorized a bio unusable form.
Today’s highly processed packaged foods contain an abundant amount of a white substance labeled as ‘salt’ (as figure 1. shows). The paddocks which grow our fresh fruits and vegetables are sown over and over and over again continually churning out fresh produce minus the important trace minerals supposed to of been retained in the soil and in the fresh produce. So the next time you hear someone suggest you should ‘avoid salt’, this isn’t technically correct.
What is correct is that we should avoid highly processed foods containing large amounts of this inorganic substance, try to buy your fresh produce from organic farms where they rotate the crops from paddock to paddock to give the soil time to regenerate or even better grow your own... Shop for unrefined, unprocessed salt – it should be pink or grey in colour (see figure 2) and get sprinkling on your eggs and meats...
Written by, Georgia Holton- Personal Trainer-
Ultimate Performance Supplements sponsored athlete www.ultimateperformance.net.au
SunTanOn sponsored athlete www.suntanon.com.au
Share with Friends
By A Web Design
From the Athlete's Mouth - Blogs
- Georgia Holton - 2013 Series Blogs
- Georgia Holton - Off Season Blog Series – September ‘Moving forward’
- Maddie Hidalgo - Back on the Bike
- Shannon McCann - T-Minus 9 Days
- Georgia Holton - Off Season Blog Series – August ‘Knowledge is power’
- Trent Grimsey - English Channel World Record
- Nathan Johnstone - Sunday in the Park
- Jenny Owens - 2nd NZ Camp Complete
Hot Off the Phone Interviews
- Bec "Rowdy" Hyatt Channel 10 News (Invicta FC / Female MMA)
- Bec Rippon - Olympic Water Polo Preview
- Nathan Johnstone - Catch - Up
- Marnie Hudson - Olympic Hockey Preview
- Lauren Staveley - Olympics and what they mean to you
- Gokhan Turkyilmaz - Olympics and what they mean to you
- Shannon McCann - Olympic Athletics Preview
- Alyce Burnett - Olympic Kayak Preview
The Sports Vault Polls
How many medals do you think Australia will win at the Olympics?
- What’s your blueprint?
- Recipes For Optimal Health with Natural Naughties
- How does an athlete stay motivated to diet
- Dealing with the 'yips'
- New Insights into Theaffeine™ - Australian Fight Sports Performance Company Nutrition Underground® Deals a Lethal Blow to the Stimulant-Based Supplement Industry