- Category: Swimming
How did you become involved in swimming?
I became involved in swimming at a very young age. My parents wanted to be able to take me to the beach and know I wouldn't drown.
Who is your sporting hero?
David Daves - An Open Water swimmer from Great Britian
Age you started in your sport?
Competitively at age 9
Height, weight, age?
188cm, 78kg, 23 years old
I have my diploma of Remedial Massage
What motivates you to continue in your sport?
Being the best. I want to be a World Champion, I won't stop until I am!
What motivated you to start your sport?
I'm very competitive and hate being beaten
What is your current business/job?
I'm a professional Open Water Swimmer
Who do you race for club/state?
I'm a member of Lawnton Swim Club and also the Australian Swim team
People that have inspired you both in sport and life?
Both my parents and my former coach John Rodgers
Great experiences that have happened in your life?
I get to travel the world doing what I love!
Your interests and hobbies?
One tip or quote that continues to inspire you?
Impossible is nothing...
Family Background(where did you grow up) and Current Family
I have always lived in Brisbane. I have two younger brother and an older sister
What is your happiest memory?
Silver medal at the 2009 World Championships in the 25km Open Water event
Who did you idolize growing up?
I always idolized older distance swimmers in my squad
Were you always one of the better athletes growing up?
No, the first time I won an Australian medal I was 15
What is one thing you would share with the children wanting to follow in your footsteps?
Stick in there even when the times get tough, it will all be worth it!
How has being involved/playing your sport changed your life?
I think it has definitely turned me into a better person as it has taught me some very important life lessons
Who has been your biggest supporter?
Definitely my parents, they have done so much for me!
Who has been your best coach?
John Rodgers and Harley Connolly
I've only ever done swimming...
Favourite Foods/Diet you follow?
Hot chips and lollies
Your typical training split and favourite thing to train?
I love training aerobic, I could do it all day
Worst injury you have suffered?
I've never had an injury (touch wood)
What is the ultimate prize in your sport?
What do you find to be the toughest aspect of your sport?
Training in winter in an out door pool...
Your future goals in your sports, and goals when you finish your sport?
I want to be a World Champion and after I finish swimming I would like to open a chain of learn to swim schools
How do you deal with temptation?
It's very hard to deal with temptation but there are always ways around it
What is your favourite music/band/song?
At the moment I'm really into the 'Cold War Kids'
Do you believe "never giving up" is the difference between making it and not making it in any sport?
I really do believe it is!
Have you ever failed at anything? If yes how did you overcome this?
Yes, I have failed many time but failure only make me stronger in the long run as I make sure it never happens again
What inspired you to succeed?
Being the best in the world!
What is your favourite movie?
What one lesson did you take from your parents?
Don't do something if you're not willing to give it 100%
What did you want to be as a kid growing up?
What is your worst fear?
Injury or sickness
If you could have dinner with 5 people who would they be?
My two brothers, Chris Lilly, David Daves and my mate Zack
What is one item you cannot live without?
Ear plugs, I can't sleep with out them
People you would like to thank?
My parents, they've done so much for me!
Share with Friends
By A Web Design
From the Athlete's Mouth - Blogs
- Georgia Holton - 2013 Series Blogs
- Georgia Holton - Off Season Blog Series – September ‘Moving forward’
- Maddie Hidalgo - Back on the Bike
- Shannon McCann - T-Minus 9 Days
- Georgia Holton - Off Season Blog Series – August ‘Knowledge is power’
- Trent Grimsey - English Channel World Record
- Nathan Johnstone - Sunday in the Park
- Jenny Owens - 2nd NZ Camp Complete
Hot Off the Phone Interviews
- Bec "Rowdy" Hyatt Channel 10 News (Invicta FC / Female MMA)
- Bec Rippon - Olympic Water Polo Preview
- Nathan Johnstone - Catch - Up
- Marnie Hudson - Olympic Hockey Preview
- Lauren Staveley - Olympics and what they mean to you
- Gokhan Turkyilmaz - Olympics and what they mean to you
- Shannon McCann - Olympic Athletics Preview
- Alyce Burnett - Olympic Kayak Preview
The Sports Vault Polls
How many medals do you think Australia will win at the Olympics?
- What’s your blueprint?
- Recipes For Optimal Health with Natural Naughties
- How does an athlete stay motivated to diet
- Dealing with the 'yips'
- New Insights into Theaffeine™ - Australian Fight Sports Performance Company Nutrition Underground® Deals a Lethal Blow to the Stimulant-Based Supplement Industry